Hyde Park was the home of President Franklin D. Roosevelt.
Find out more about trains run for Presidents of the United States.
A post card from our collection.
Find more photos and stories from our fascinating WebSites
Find more photos and stories from our fascinating WebSites
It was built by Cleveland, Cincinnati, Chicago and St. Louis Railway (CCC & St. L RR), also known as the Big Four, around 1925. It was built Craftsman-style, and is 1.5 stories high. Its foundation and walls are made of wood, and the roof is asphalt shingles. It includes a brick chimney. The property upon which the freight house is upon covers .52 acres.
It was originally part of “Jeffersonville Springs”, a resort that featured mineral springs, which being chalybeate was deemed back then to be good for the body. This lent the name to a nearby street, Spring Street. The resort was started by Swiss immigrant John Fischli, who originally owned 13 acres (53,000 m2) of the property, until his death in 1838. In 1852 it was bought by a Methodist church, who converted the gambling houses by it into school houses. The hotel which Fischli had built burned down in 1857.
The property was bought by the Big Four in 1890. There were initially plans by the railroad to rebuild the resort, but that never happened. In 1907 the Railroad had destroyed the Springs.
After the railroad abandoned it in 1963, R.A. Alms & Sons Feed Wholesalers used it from 1970-1975. In the 1980s a cable company used it. It is currently unused, but the Ohio River Bridges Project had plans to restore it in 2008 and turn it into its headquarters; as of August 2009 nothing has been done to renovate it.
The building is a near-perfect example of how train depots of that time period were built and is considered rare as many from that era were dismantled as rail transportation evolved through the late 20th century. The facility still houses the original freight scale, manufactured by the Fairbanks Scale Company, which is still in working order. The scale dates to the early 1900s and was potentially manufactured 20-25 years before the building itself.
In addition to its architectural significance, the Freight House played an important role in the economic and demographic growth of the Jeffersonville and Indiana. INDOT’s nominating document called it, “significant as a symbol of the railroad’s vital role in the city’s economic growth, as well as that of the state.”
Find more great sites on or near the famous bridge.
Find our more about Philadelphia’s historic Reading Terminal.
Find other great stories about Philadelphia
The Buckingham Branch has 6 interchanges with Class I Railroads. Three interchanges each with CSX and Norfolk Southern give our customers freight connections to anywhere in North America and to the Port of Virginia. With connection alternatives to both CSX and Norfolk Southern our customers also are assured of the most competitive freight rates and the best freight schedules.
With three divisions and 275 miles of track the Buckingham Branch is the largest short line railroad in Virginia. The Buckingham Division consists of 17 miles between Bremo, VA and Dillwyn, VA. The Richmond & Alleghany Division consists of 199 miles between Richmond, VA and Clifton Forge, VA. The Virginia Southern Division encompasses 59 miles between Burkeville, VA and Clarksville, VA
The Buckingham Branch operates seven days a week, with regularly scheduled trains Monday through Friday and special trains as needed by our customers on Saturday and Sunday. Our Rail Traffic Control Center, which dispatches trains for the Buckingham Branch and for CSX and Amtrak trains on the Richmond & Alleghany Division, operates 24 hours a day, seven days per week.
Find other articles like this one
Union Pacific Railroad’s Bailey Yard in North Platte, Nebraska, is the largest railroad classification yard in the world. It was named in honor of former Union Pacific President Edd H. Bailey. If the University of Nebraska Cornhuskers were to play here, they’d have enough room for 2,800 football fields. This massive yard covers 2,850 acres, reaching a total length of eight miles, well beyond the borders of North Platte, a community of 25,000 citizens. Put end-to-end, Bailey Yard’s 315 miles of track would reach from North Platte in western Nebraska east past Omaha on the Iowa border along the Missouri River. Every 24 hours, Bailey Yard handles 10,000 railroad cars. Of those, 3,000 are sorted daily in the yard’s eastward and westward yards, nicknamed “hump” yards. Using a mound cresting 34 feet for eastbound trains and 20.1 feet for those heading west, these two hump yards allow four cars a minute to roll gently into any of 114 “bowl” tracks where they become part of trains headed for dozens of destinations. Together, these two yards have 18 receiving and 16 departure tracks.
When Cedar Hill Railyard in New Haven,CT.was built it was 880 acres,154 Miles of track,& could hold 15,000 railcars. Are the new railyards built now just as large or larger?Cedar Hill was big but it was not a really modern yard by today’s standards. Three separate retarder towers all had to be manned when-ever they were humping cars and this was on two different humps if bothhumps were operating. The tracks ran around rivers and waterways, the tracks in the departure yards were too short for modern trains, the yard was very labor intensive and it took too many people in order to operate this facility. Last, the biggest reason that the yard is pretty much not used today is because New Haven is no longer used for through freight trains. The freight bound for New England is mostly off CSX through themodern facility at Selkirk and via the B & A which connects with the former New Haven at a number of locations. Many modern freight cars today can’t even get into Cedar Hill due to clearance restrictions, low bridges, overhead wires and tunnels are the biggest problems. During the New Haven Railroad days and into the Penn Central period as well, New Haven and Cedar Hill was a huge freight hub for southern New England. Today it is a stub end terminal from Springfield with a lesser operation via the P & W from Worcester via Norwich. Years ago there were 20 or more yard jobs on each shift, today there are around 3 jobs left in the whole terminal
Find more stories like this one
The O&W came into New York as a tenant of the West Shore subsidiary of the New York Central. O&W tracks from Middletown ended in Cornwall-on-Hudson. From there, O&W trains used the West Shore south for over fifty miles to Weehawken, NJ. There the railroad had an engine terminal, yard trackage and coal piers. It shared the passenger terminal with the West Shore and riders used the New York Central ferryboats to reach Manhattan.
Portions of the abandoned O&W were used in the reconstruction of NY Route 17. Shown below are the O&W stations and the towns which are in the proximity to Route 17: (from East to West, an over-80 mile segment; originally double-track but one track taken up and CTC installed in late 1940’s)
an ex Central New England station open until 1957. It burned in the 1970’s. O&W connected with the New Haven, with the Erie’s Graham Line, and with the Lehigh and New England.
a large station built in 1892. Site of the famous “10-minute meal stop (in lieu of diners). Junction with the Erie from Port Jervis. Also junction with the shortline Middletown & Unionville (also known as Middletown and New Jersey). This was the O&W headquarters.
at this point, Tower “BX” guarded a tunnel
the depot remains as a VFW hall
the Port Jervis to Kingston line intersected here. There was passenger service to the hotels at Ellenville.
Not on road maps
beginning of a grade which climbed to 1840 feet at Young’s Gap (now used by Route 17).
was the limit of most passenger service in later years. Route 17 goes right over the site of the station.
connection with the Delaware & Northern to Arkville (D&N roadbed now mostly under the Pepacton Reservoir)
junction of Scranton line with the main line which continued to Walton, Sidney and on to Oswego
The post card says Fort Plain, but it looks like a 4-track main line, not the 2-track West Shore that went through Fort Plain. Fort Plain, NY is directly across the Mohawk River / Barge Canal from Nelliston which is on the NY Central Main Line. Checked Form 1001 for April 30, 1950. Local service on the mainline referred to the station in Nelliston as “Fort Plain”, while just down the road, Canajoharie (on the West Shore, like Fort Plain) was served by Palatine Bridge on the main line. The West Shore timetable (no passenger by 1950, but freight through Fort Plain) neatly sidestepped the issue by calling it “South Fort Plain”. Little Falls to South Fort Plain was abandoned in 1971.
Find other interesting articles
Life Through My Urban Eyes
.... Inspiring Your World
surviving retirement with two cats
Manufacturer and Exporters of Customized Athletic wears | Active Wears
THE ENLIGHTENED ART MAGAZINE
Smiling • Writing • Dreaming
suspenseful with a pencil
Championing the Underdogs Since 2006
Your Survival Guide for College
YOU SHOP. WE SHIP.
"Love. Health. Wealth. Food. Lifestyle. Books. Movies. Travel. Friends. Memories."
Stay Fit, Stay Healthy
Luxury Limousines in Los Angeles
Shuttle Port Canaveral offers convenient shuttles and transportation from the Orlando area to the Space Coast of Florida, including Port Canaveral and Cocoa Beach.
Port Canaveral Transportation and Cruise Shuttle Services