The O&W came into New York as a tenant of the West Shore subsidiary of the New York Central. O&W tracks from Middletown ended in Cornwall-on-Hudson. From there, O&W trains used the West Shore south for over fifty miles to Weehawken, NJ. There the railroad had an engine terminal, yard trackage and coal piers. It shared the passenger terminal with the West Shore and riders used the New York Central ferryboats to reach Manhattan.
Portions of the abandoned O&W were used in the reconstruction of NY Route 17. Shown below are the O&W stations and the towns which are in the proximity to Route 17: (from East to West, an over-80 mile segment; originally double-track but one track taken up and CTC installed in late 1940’s)
an ex Central New England station open until 1957. It burned in the 1970’s. O&W connected with the New Haven, with the Erie’s Graham Line, and with the Lehigh and New England.
a large station built in 1892. Site of the famous “10-minute meal stop (in lieu of diners). Junction with the Erie from Port Jervis. Also junction with the shortline Middletown & Unionville (also known as Middletown and New Jersey). This was the O&W headquarters.
at this point, Tower “BX” guarded a tunnel
the depot remains as a VFW hall
the Port Jervis to Kingston line intersected here. There was passenger service to the hotels at Ellenville.
Not on road maps
beginning of a grade which climbed to 1840 feet at Young’s Gap (now used by Route 17).
was the limit of most passenger service in later years. Route 17 goes right over the site of the station.
connection with the Delaware & Northern to Arkville (D&N roadbed now mostly under the Pepacton Reservoir)
junction of Scranton line with the main line which continued to Walton, Sidney and on to Oswego